Monday 30 May 2016

Mexican meal at Joe Mexican in Pretoria East

*On the quest to try out different cuisines, find new restaurants in and around Pretoria*

 For the whole of last week I couldn't wait for the weekend, I kept on thinking about what I was going to eat come weekend.  Planning on going to a new place and trying out something different has never excited me this much. On Saturday evening I drove to Constantia Park in Pretoria South East. I found a Mexican restaurant on Google called EL PISTOLERO in that part of town. I have never  been to Constantia Park - though I have passed there. I found the place pretty quick,  only to be told that they were closed for the evening because of a private function. I guess that's what happens when you don't pre-book.  Lesson learnt!!

Google directed me to another restaurant in Garsfontein ( which was nearer to home, yippie). The restaurant is at the Eastdale Pavilion Shopping Center, Corner of Jacqueline Drive & Solomon Mahlangu Drive. I know this complex so it was easy to find. I arrived at Joe Mexican and I instantly liked the place. It was inviting and mellow. I didn't feel like I was in one of those places that expect you to have your dining etiquette manual on hand.

    
 


Upon being seated a bowl of popcorn arrived, now that was a first for me but hey I love popcorn. I requested warm water with lemon and it was delivered in a split of a second. They served their meals in enamel dishes and plates. This was a different, I am not sure whether in Mexico they (traditionally, perhaps) served meals in enamel dishes or it was part of what makes the restaurant different.

 
 CORN DOGS
 I ordered corn dogs. The corn dogs were fried and coated in cornmeal butter.  They were served with salsa, sour cream, corn and guacamole.
  
  
 The yellowish sauce in the mug had a sour taste and was not too thick. The sausages had a cheesy filling inside.  The corn crust around the sausage tasted like cake ( not so sweet) almost like fat cakes. I wish they served only one though - They were quite large.
 
  
 ENCHILADAS
 I ordered a pulled pork tortilla stuffed with drunken beans ( don't know what this means), gallo pinto rice and enchilada sauce. It was covered in cheese and baked. This meal came with salsa, sour cream, corn and guacamole.

 The enchiladas was very tasty, it kind of reminded me of breyani with the rice mixed with beans and pork meat.  
I used my knife to cut the enchilada and place it on the plate, then I was able to use the fork and knife to eat. Something tells me I was not eating/doing it right, oh well  I will do my research proper next time.

CHURROS - Dessert
I ordered churros- which is dough covered in cinnamon and sugar, served with melted chocolate.



The chocolate sauce was not rich but very sweet. Without dipping it in the sauce the dough tasted like fat cakes except it was covered in sugar and cinnamon. I couldn't finish my dessert - guilty voiced screamed "so much sugar!!".
 
 Except that one runs a risk of gaining tons of weight from the food served here, I really enjoyed my meal. It was tasty, full of flavour and hearty.  Service was good, food arrived quick, plates were cleared just as quick, manager / supervisor came out to ask if everything was fine. Really I can't fault them in that department.
 
Music was playing in the background, from the sound I guessed it was Mexican. The vibe was great I felt like standing and breaking into the Mexican Hat Dance.
 
  
 
* All photos are mine unless otherwise stated*  

No comments:

Post a Comment